Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes

Sunday, February 24, 2008

What kind of music do I like?

I always have to think a little bit before I answer when I am asked what sort of music I like or listen to. I usually wind up answering with "stupid metal", since I realize not many of the people I talk to listen to my type of music, and would probably categorize it as "stupid metal". Anyways, I thought about it, and here are some songs that I like to listen to, linked to YouTube (some live, some not) for everyone to appreciate.

  • Stockholm Syndrome by Muse. Characterized by some "fuzzy" guitar, fairly high-ranged (in some parts falsetto) vocals, and a change of tempo in parts of the song. Muse is described as Wikipedia as "New Prog", "Alternative Rock", and "Progressive Rock".

  • A Better Lie by Pitchshifter (I'm sorry, you'll have to settle for a DBZ video). Some effects on the guitar. The drums are very involved (lots of electronica-type percussion). Again, there's a distinct change in tempo during the song. The vocals are fairly gravelly and admittedly not the least repetitive thing in the song. Pitchshifter is described by Wikipedia as "nu metal, industrial rock, industrial metal".

  • The Bending by Hopesfall. The guitars are layered at times and much more than generic power chord progressions. The drums are quite unpredictable and add a lot to the song, in my opinion. The vocals switch between classic cat-in-a-blender screamo, and something a bit more melodic, overlapping with backing vocals. The guitars play some dissonant tones at points (~2:10). Hopesfall is described by Wikipedia as "Rock, Melodic Hardcore, Post-hardcore".

  • New Noise by Refused (you might want to skip to just after the first minute). Basic, repeating riff at the start of the song. Mostly screaming vocals during the chorus, and mostly talking during the verses. Guitars are mostly basic chords during the chorus, along with the repeating riff throughout. Drums aren't anything to write home about, but fairly varied through the different parts of the song. Refused is described by wikipedia as "Hardcore punk, Post-hardcore, Alternative metal".

  • Under A Glass Moon by Dream Theater. Keyboards and guitar bring the song in, with some great drumming near the start. I really like the alternating drum patterns in 1:06-1:20 and also during the chorus at 2:09-2:36. DT supposedly has one of the better drummers out there and it shows. Definitely lots of tempo changes. The vocals are high-range, and I guess it also falls in the falsetto range at some parts. Dream Theater is described by Wikipedia as "Progressive metal, Progressive rock".

  • Deliverance by Opeth. A very mellow guitar intro, leading into mellow vocals, delivered on an odd rhythm that seems to carry though most of the song. At 1:44 and 2:02 we get some dissonant guitar chords. At 2:23 we get some screamy vocals that are closer to death metal than screamo. Around 3:28 we get a completely new rhythm and a key change, and back to more melodic vocals. The song ends a bit early, but I didn't want to find and analyze the full 13 minute song. Wikipedia describes Opeth as "Progressive metal, Progressive death metal, Progressive rock".


Well there you have it. According to Wikipedia, I listen to progressive rock and metal with some post-hardcore. I hope you enjoyed delving into my musical tastes! So, what kind of music do you listen to?

Listening to... Blindside - Eye of the Storm (no good version for it on YouTube)
Link of the moment... Of course, every now and then I like to listen to something random (pun intended).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home