Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Good frames won't save bad paintings

I've accomplished a whole lot of nothing lately. Besides a lecture that I gave on Thursday morning (it went very well), I haven't done a stitch of work in days. I've got some marking to do as usual, and this week's group theory assignment looks difficult. Of the two questions I've looked at (out of ~10 that I need to finish), I've gotten stuck on both. I felt quite odd today, as I spent most of the day sleeping. I really haven't accomplished much of anything today. Even after spending most of the day sleeping, I still feel very drained. I'm not sure exactly what's causing that, but hopefully tomorrow I'll feel well rested and be able to finish something before the weekend finishes.

So, I went on a date the other night with Dina (the same day as my lecture; I was a nervous wreck all day). We got a coffee before watching "Juno" at the movie theater. It sounds like a second date is in the works, so what does that mean? We're "seeing each other"? "Dating"? Sometimes the wrong turn of phrase can cause a lot of trouble.

I don't like to post about stuff involving other people that some might consider private (for instance, I went on a date the other night, but I won't say what we talked about). However, I will relay one story that ends with me feeling like an idiot for the sake of your enjoyment. I'll even give you the whole story with all the little details, cause that's the kind of guy I am.

So, we need some background history here. First of all, Dina's cell number shows up as "blocked number" on my cell phone. Also, I was invited to two events last night: Dan's birthday party, and an appetizer party at Alexa's house. I decided I would go to Alexa's for two reasons: the only people I would know at Dan's place would be people I see on a regular basis, and their apartment is too small for the number of people they invited (and I don't like being shoulder to shoulder with people). I told Dina the other night that I planned to go to Alexa's and would like for her to come along. She said she had dancing that night until 9PM, but would like to go with me after then to the party.

So, Friday rolls around, and Adam phones me to do something (he's only here on the weekends). I invited him to go to the party as well since I wanted to hang out with him, hoping that Dina wouldn't mind. Well, that sort of fizzled anyways, because he decided to go out with his other buddies later that night, and asked me to drop him off at his place before I picked up Dina.

So, 9:45 rolls around, and I start to wonder where Dina is. I call her cell phone and get her voice mail, but I didn't leave a message. About 20 seconds later, my cell phone rings, and displays "blocked number", leaving any reasonable human to deduce that Dina was calling me back. I answer the phone, and hear a girl say "hey, where are you? Why aren't you over here?", accompanied with what seems to be a party going on in the background. I couldn't really tell what was going on, but I figured Dina wouldn't have gone to the party without me, and I take a stab at it: "Alexa?". No, apparently it was Sheena calling from her party. I told them I would probably stop by that night, but forgot to call them earlier to tell them about the change of plans. So, I told her I decided to blow them off to go to Alexa's, and hoped that I didn't come off as a dick.

Alright, so I kind of felt like an idiot at this point, but it gets better. I decide to start preparing the fruit I was going to bring to Alexa's, and if I didn't hear from Dina by 10:15, I'd chalk it up as a loss and go to Alexa's. At about 10, I hear my phone ring again, and see her name pop up on the caller ID (her landline shows up properly on my phone). Finally! So, I answer, and say something along the lines of "Hey Dina, are you still coming to Alexa's tonight?". She said she would, I asked how long it would take for her to get ready, and told her I'd be there in fifteen minutes. Alright, things are going well. I throw my fruit in a container, and go upstairs to grab a shirt to wear, while Adam waited downstairs.

As I get to my room, my phone rings again, and it's Dina. "Hey, what's up?", I say, wondering what she had forgotten. "Well," she replies, "some of my family is staying over for the night, and so I can't come out tonight". Hm, how odd. She continues: "So, I guess my nephew just called you and was talking to you. He totally prank called you, and I figured I should tell you before you show up at my house". Oh. Wonderful. So, at this point, I feel a number of things, all tied together by a feeling of idiocy. Not only can I not tell the difference between Dina's voice and that of her nephew, but my plans to see Dina that night are shot, AND I've been punk'd by some pre-pubescent kid who I really can't afford to hate, seeing as how he's related to the person to whom I'm trying to give a good impression.

If that's not bad enough, when I get back downstairs, I couldn't even bring myself to tell Adam how badly my Friday night just got PWN'D, and let on that I'm still planning on picking her up after dropping him off.

I hope my misery brings you joy.

Listening to... Mega Man 3 - Blue Balls Remix
Link of the moment... If you've ever played Mega Man 3, you should give this song a listen

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home