Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes

Sunday, April 06, 2008

SYMaOYE turns four!

Wow, I almost missed my blog's birthday today! My face would have been red if I didn't celebrate with my usual "year in review" post, but luckily it looks like I'll be able to squeeze one in on time. I liked last year's style, so I think I'll copy it again this year.

My first shoutout goes to board games, and more specifically, weekly games nights. Since last summer, I've played a ton of games, as well as buying a whole lot of new ones. I've had a lot of fun playing all sorts of games with my friends. I also have to give a shoutout to my regulars, who make my Wednesday nights the highlight of my week, every week.

I'll also give a shoutout to the Game Shelf, the local game store. At first, I wasn't a fan of you. I'm still waiting for your website to be anything more than a placeholder, some of your prices are a bit high, and your selection is a bit lacking. However, I've come to realize that you can get anything I want if I ask for it, and some of your prices are actually very competitive to other retailers.

A shoutout goes to Lakehead University, which is my current alma matter. I still walk around like I'm hot shit since I went to UW, but I'm getting a pretty good education from you. Your smaller class sizes and smaller faculty are definitely a new experience, and is probably doing me a lot of good.

My first-year academic adviser, Adam also gets a shoutout. You've been a lot of help with my transition into grad studies, and I like that you're very approachable. Thanks for all the help in the courses you taught me!

My new school friends Laura, Eric, Chris, Bobbi, and Emerald get a shoutout. You guys have proven to me that I'm not hopeless when it comes to meeting new people. I really like hanging out with you after class and just chatting in the Study. I always think that you represent the "newness" in my life this year, and it's a shame that some of you are graduating and won't be around next year.

My Wii and video games in general get a shoutout. I finally got some time in the last year to plow through a bunch of titles I've wanted to play. I think I've rekindled my gaming hobby, and it's provided me with lots of hours of entertainment that would have otherwise been spent on crappy television.

My old roommates get a shoutout, since I went to visit them all twice in the last year. Thanks especially to Andrew and Hugh who let me stay at their houses during my winter trip. It's good to know we can still hangout and relive "old times" even once we've all graduated.

Unfortunately, I've got to give a shoutout to the single life this year. In the entirety of the year, I've only gone out on one date, and that didn't really turn in to anything. Still, I am happy that I still have lots of friends to spend time with, and there are still lots of fish in the sea!

For the first time, alcohol gets a shoutout. Once Phil showed up in town, I figured there was no reason not to give it a try. I've gotta say though, I'm still not a fan at all, but at least now it's because of the taste and not for no reason at all.

Guitar Hero gets a shoutout. Lots of my friends have had fun with you, and you've been a hit at parties! I've gotten pretty good at you as well, but I don't play as much anymore now that you're not "new".

Well, that's all for this year! Not a lot of new stuff, but there it is for you to read.

Listening to... Sum 41 - Billy Spleen
Link of the moment... Or, from another perspective...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home